This recipe is courtesy of Brendan Lynch, a dear friend and the runner up of TGGBO 2012. It was featured in episode 11 themed "petit fours" and delighted both judges. Here is how you can create these mouthfuls of scrumminess…
3 large egg whites
1/2 tsp cream of tartar
175g caster sugar
2 tbs of very finely micro-ground coffee powder
(I used Nescafe 'Azera' brand from Waitrose,but i think that others are making micro-ground now. Coffee powder isn't fine enough though)
2 tbs WhyNut hazelnut paste
110 g soft butter
110 g icing sugar
65 g full fat cream cheese
Method - Meringues:
- Whisk egg whites to soft peak stage. Continue beating, and start adding in 1 tbs of sugar and wait for 30 seconds before adding the next one. Continue until all sugar is used up. Now add the coffe powder.Increase speed and whisk for 3-4 minutes until stiff and glossy
- Preheat oven to 150 Celsius degrees
- Have a piping bag ready with a 1/2" plain nozzle. Pipe 30, small rounds of meringue onto a parchment lined tray - about the diameter of a 50p coin. Transfer to oven. Turn down oven to 140 Celsius degrees and bake for 35 minutes
- Turn oven off and leave to continue drying for another 30-45 minutes until dry to touch
- Take out and leave to cool on rack
- Whisk the butter, cream cheese and icing sugar until light and pipeable consistency
- Add in the hazelnut paste and mix thoroughly.Put in the fridge to firm up
- Put some Hazelnut cream into a piping bag with a small star nozzle. Pipe a swirl of hazelnut cream on base of one meringue half and place another half on top. Press together until cream is level with edge of meringue.
- Make the others in the same way
- Sprinkle some chopped hazelnut onto cream filling- a small packet of hazelnuts already chopped from the supermarket will do..
- ENJOY !
Leave a comment